Online PhD in K-12 Studies in Education Requirements
As with any advanced degree, students pursuing an online K-12 studies in education PhD must be dedicated and goal-oriented. Typical students are already or have been previously employed in the field of education. Because online PhD in K-12 education studies require a significant amount of time, candidates are expected to be dedicated and focused in order to be successful in achieving this degree.
Degree seeking students for the online K-12 studies in education PhD must typically meet the following admissions requirements:
- Master’s degree from an accredited university
- 3.0 cumulative GPA
In addition, most applicants in the online doctorate programs in K-12 studies in education are already experienced K-12 teachers or administrators.
An online doctoral degree in K-12 studies in education will take between 4-6 years to complete on a part-time basis. Some schools allow a maximum of 7 years to complete the program. During the course of their education, students must participate in a colloquia or residency to give them the opportunity to see the information and theory from their studies actually being used in the classroom environment, as well as to converse with individuals currently in the career roles they are seeking. Dissertations are also typically required for program completion.
Many of the best online PhD programs in K-12 studies in education will be based on theories of the educational process and how to apply these theories in the classroom. Some of the courses are designed to research, analyze, and evaluate the methods involved in these theories and identify the strengths and weaknesses.
Top online programs for doctorate degrees in K-12 education studies include the following core curriculum:
- Leading Innovation: In this course, students learn about the theories of change, behavior, and leadership in education and how to put these theories into practice.
- Educational Research Methods: Learners will explore and analyze educational research methodologies.
- Advanced Action Research for Teacher-Leaders: Students research how to overcome obstacles in learning and improve overall educational outcome in the classroom.
Specializations and Concentrations
An interesting facet about the best online doctoral programs in K-12 studies in education is that they provide an individualized approach to the curriculum based on the interest of the student. Learners achieve specialization through supplementing the few required core courses with electives such as the following:
- Virtual School Instruction
- Assessment Strategies
- Leadership in Education
Students who graduate from an accredited online PhD program in K-12 studies in education can choose from a number of different career options. Some of the top career opportunities for online PhD in K-12 education graduates are as follows:
- Professor: An online doctorate in K-12 education studies will provide the necessary credentials to become a professor at a junior college or a university. Salaries for professors are around $95,000 per year in private institutions and $80,000 in public institutions. Employment for post-secondary teachers is expected to grow by 15% by 2018.
- Instructional Coordinator: Instructional coordinators select textbooks, train teachers, and assess instructional methods and materials. In secondary schools, they typically specialize in a particular subject matter. Salaries average about $60,000 per year. Job outlook is good due to the No Child Left Behind Act. This field is expected to grow by 23 percent.
- Education Consultant: In conjunction with local, state, and federal education department officials, consultants are responsible for establishing curriculum and policies for school systems. The average salary for an education consultant is approximately $85,000 per year.
- Principal: Principals are responsible for hiring teachers as well as maintaining educational standards within a school. The salary range for principals is $85,000 to $100,000 per year. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for elementary and secondary school principals should increase about 8 percent by 2018. There should be many job opportunities due to a high number of retirees in the field and increased demands being put on individuals in these positions.
- Superintendent: Superintendents serve as the chief executive officer of a school board. They are typically responsible for budgeting as well adherence to educational policy. Salaries for superintendents range from $85,000 to $200,000 annually depending on the size and economic status of the school system.
For individuals who are already teachers or administrators, a PhD in K-12 studies in education could advance their careers, offering increases in salary and a change in environment. A PhD in K-12 studies from a school online provides an incredible opportunity for teachers who are currently employed to earn their online doctorate degree while still maintaining their current jobs and lives.