Information technology management is a fast-growing field, because every company, organization and agency needs computer systems to store vital information, and educated workers to manage those systems. Computers are indispensable, not only for storing information, but for communicating, researching, and accomplishing one’s tasks. As a result, those with the skills and expertise in managing computer systems, or information technology, are in high demand. An PhD in Information Technology Management from the best online schools can help a student to acquire or sharpen the technological and leadership skills he or she needs to oversee an information technology system or department.
Online PhD in Information Technology Management Requirements
In order to earn an online PhD in information technology management, a student should have a good knowledge of computers, experience working in information technology (IT) another computer or information-related field, or on-the-job management experience. An online PhD in information technology management will help you to increase your knowledge of the technology involved in any IT system, as well as hardware and software use, and the management of both information and employees.
Most accredited online PhD degrees in information technology management require the applicant to have a master’s degree in a field that is connected to information technology or computer information systems. Some masters’ degrees that might qualify a student for a doctoral program include:
- Information Technology
- Information Technology Management
- Business Administration
- Technology Management
- Digital Media
- Technology Education
- Computing and Information Sciences
- Computer Information Sciences
- Professional Studies in Information Sciences
- Information Technology Project Management
Students earn online PhD doctorate degrees in information technology management from several different fields, but most of them are either business or compute relatedsometimes both. These can include IT managers, software developers, accountants, CIS or IT supervisors, computer engineers, or business managers or administrators.
In addition to taking advanced classes through computer forums and doing a dissertation, an online information technology management doctorate student should be prepared to spend at least three 5-day sessions at a branch of his or her university’s campus. The best online doctoral degrees in information technology management can usually be completed within 2 to 3 years, depending on how long the student takes to write the dissertation.
The coursework for top online doctorate programs in information technology management emphasizes both the technical aspects of the field and the management of other workers. Students graduate the best online doctoral programs in information technology management knowing how both information systems and human systems work and how they affect each other.
- Managing and Organizing People: This course introduces students to various theories of management, as well as organizational principles for use in large and small groups.
- Information Technology Delivery: A course in information technology delivery examines the proactive services that must be delivered in order to provide adequate support to IT users.
- Information Technology Strategy and Management: This class explores necessary actions management must take to insure that information is correct and available.
- Survey of Research Literature in Information Technology Management Infrastructure: This course surveys recent literature on IT management. It also helps students learn where to begin research for their dissertation.
- Survey of Research Literature in Information Technology Planning and Delivery: This course surveys recent literature on IT planning and delivery. It provides more good resources for dissertation research.
Specializations and Concentrations
With an online PhD, information technology management students can either focus on the people-oriented aspects of IT or the technology-oriented aspects. While both are an integral part of a top online doctorate in information technology management, as well as any IT management job a graduate might get, a student’s interest tends to lean in one direction or another. Some possible concentrations offered by online PhD programs in information technology management include:
- Project management
- Organizational Management
- Computer Science
Information technology management career opportunities are expected to grow faster than the average rate of job growth over the next several years. Career prospects are excellent for anyone with advanced training in this area, such as an online information technology management PhD. This is in part because everyone needs someone to manage their IT, and in part because training at the doctoral level is accomplished by very few people. Some of the possible jobs students can get after graduating from accredited online doctoral programs in information technology management include:
- Computer Information System Manager: An IT or CIS manager keeps computer systems operating efficiently and securely. They also sometimes direct the work of other IT professionals. This position is expected to grow in the coming years, and averages a salary of $115,150 per year.
- Software Engineer: A computer software engineer designs, develops, and tests computer software. The average salary for a computer software engineer is $87,900 a year. This is projected to be one of the fastest growing occupations over the next several years.
- IT Management Consultant: An IT management consultant advises corporations on issues related to information systems and data processing. Consultants normally bill hourly for their services, and the average rate for an IT management consultant is approximately $62.69 an hour. IT management consulting is a growth area, and job prospects are expected to remain high.
- Configuration Management Engineer: A configuration management engineer sets up, tests, and evaluates the installation and configuration of software. Configuration management engineers generally make between $51,690 and $84,110 a year. Job prospects for configuration management engineers are very high.
- Process Management Support: A worker in process management support helps a company or organization increase efficiency. The average salary for someone working in process management support is $69,000 a year. Prospects for a job in process management support are very high.
With a good online PhD, information technology management graduates will be at the cutting edge of career opportunities. The more computer information technology expands, the more the marketplace will need the skills of someone with an online information technology management PhD.