Students seeking to obtain an online religion masters degree must have finely tuned verbal skills, curiosity about history and literature, and compassion for people from all backgrounds. Many of the best courses offered in an online religion master’s degree will help to strengthen these skills, creating a marketable profession in a desired area of expertise.
A benefit of the online masters degree program in religion is its versatility in collaborating with a variety of bachelors degrees. Any of the following different bachelors degrees could prepare a student for coursework in a online masters degree program in religion:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology
- Bachelor’s Degree in Anthropology
- Bachelor’s Degree in History
- Bachelor’s Degree in Philosophy
- Bachelor’s Degree in Literature
- Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching
There is a diverse array of satisfying careers that may be pursued upon completion of an online masters degree in religion. An example of some career fields that may become options with an online masters degree in religion are in psychology, sociology, history, and literature.
Reputable online master’s degree programs in religion typically take between 2 to 3 years to complete. The types of degrees offered by the best religion master’s programs online include:
- Master of Science in Religion (MS in Religion)
- Master of Arts in Religion (MA in Religion)
Much of the coursework encountered in online master’s programs in religion include courses such as:
- World Religions: This survey course briefly touches upon all of the major world religions. Some of these include Christianity, Buddhism, Judaism, Hinduism and Islam.
- History and Theory of the Study of Religion: This course deals with the historical development of different religions, and their applications based on philosophy of religion, psychology of religion, sociology of religion, and anthropology.
- Creation and Evolution: This course explores links between science and religion.
Specializations and Concentrations
Because religion is a broad field, in order to become an expert in a specific niche, some online master’s religion students will pursue specialties or concentrations in areas including:
- African Religions
- Native American Studies
- Pastoral Studies
- Religion, Gender and Culture
- Christian Counseling
Online masters degree programs lead to a variety of unique and satisfying career choices. Some opportunities may include:
- Pastor: A pastor leads a congregation of a church. Pastors make on average, $43,000 a year.
- Youth Minister: Youth ministers work to give guidance to a younger demographic, typically with children and pre-adolescents. The average salary of a youth minister is $42,900.
- Historian: A historian of religion is an expert in the field, with a broad knowledge base. A historian averages $54,500 per year.
- Religion Teacher/Professor: Educators teaching religion often work in private school or university settings. A university position may require a PhD. A religion educator will see a salary of $61,400 per year, with job prospects expected to increase.
- Counselor: A counselor will work with many different demographics on various issues. A religion counselor may choose to focus on faith-focused topics, as well as general counseling, in either religious venues or faith-based schools. A counselor may average $52,000 per year.
Whether an online master’s program in religion is pursued to create career opportunities or to satisfy a personal interest, it is a degree that is readily available through an online platform. A master’s degree in religion from accredited online schools will open many doors for those intellectually inclined to study religion.