Online Master’s Degrees in Higher Education Requirements
The online master’s degree in higher education program takes a students who is assertive, friendly, talkative, well organized, and responsible. These traits are valuable to success.
To obtain an online master’s degree in higher education, one must have a bachelor’s degree in fields that might include:
- Education Administration
- Educational Leadership
Candidates of the online master’s degree program in higher education may have prior work experience as an education principal or supervisor.
Good online master’s degree programs in higher education typically take between 2 to 3 years to complete. The types of higher education degrees offered by the best higher education master’s programs online include:
- Master of Science in Higher Education (MS in Higher Education)
- Master of Arts in Higher Education (MA in Higher Education)
The best online master’s degree programs in higher education put an emphasize on studies such as organization, administrator techniques, and curriculum development and evaluation.
Some popular courses found in the top online master’s degree in higher education programs include:
- Student Services: This course focuses on the responsibilities of a higher education personnel and the needs of the students. It also focuses on student-administrator interaction.
- Student Development: This course studies students in the higher education environment, emphasizing how to develop their skills.
- Higher Education and the Law: In this course, students review how the law combines with higher education rights and regulations.
- Policy Studies and Evaluation: This course covers case studies and evaluations that are essential to developing and mastering your own skills.
- Teaching Techniques for Leadership: This course explores leadership techniques and strategies higher education administrators need to know to succeed.
Specializations and Concentrations
Because higher education is a broad field, in order to become an expert in a specific niche, some online master’s higher education students will pursue specialties or concentrations in areas including:
- Special Education
- Literacy Studies
With higher education institutions reaching a new high of students, there is an increase in the demand of higher education administrators and leaders. The following careers are common among graduates of online master’s degree programs in higher education:
- Vice President of Student Affairs: A vice president of student affairs coordinates the activities of student life such as recreational activities and dorm life. They also may counsel students in terms of their educational adjustments and functions. The job outlook of a vice president of student affairs is excellent. The average salary of a vice president of student affairs is about $80,000 a year.
- Director of Student Services: A director of student services directs and organizes student functioning in areas like career services, financial aid, and social programs. The outlook in this career is excellent as more students enroll in colleges and universities every year. On average, a director of student services makes around $70,000 a year.
- Director of Admissions: A director of admissions controls recruiting and admitting students to the higher education facility. The outlook of a director of admissions career is excellent. The average yearly salary of a director of admissions is near $55,000.
- College or University Department Head: A college or university department head controls special departments within the college or university organizing schedules and teachers, as well as helping students within their department. The job prospect of a department head is excellent. On average, a college or university department head makes $100,000 annually.
- Higher Education Administrator: A higher education administrator works closely with students, helping the student services department. They focus on financial aid, student records, and organizations of student activities. The job prospect in this career is excellent as well. The average annual salary of higher education administrator is $80,000.
An online master’s degree in higher education is vital to career advancement for leadership positions. One can also advance their career by obtaining an online PhD in higher education to gain more experience and knowledge of the field.