Applicants for the best online master degree programs in health education should have an interest in designing, delivering and evaluating programs to help the public make healthier decisions. Attending health education master’s programs online provides students with flexible course schedules, state-of-the-art communication technologies and valuable networking opportunities.
Generally, individuals applying for admission into top online master programs in health education will have a bachelor’s degree in one of the following areas:
- Bachelor in Health Sciences
- Bachelor in Health Administration
- Bachelor in Public Health
Candidates for good health education masters programs online usually have work experience as health educators in school systems, corporate organizations and health care clinics.
Good online master’s degree programs in health education typically take between 2 to 3 years to complete. The types of health education degrees offered by the best health education master’s programs online include:
- Master of Science in Health Education (MS in Health Education)
- Master of Arts in Health Education (MA in Health Education)
Accredited online masters degree programs in health education provide students with an overview of public health issues and educational theories and practices. Some common courses students in the best online master’s programs in health education may see are:
- Introduction to Health Education: This online master’s health education course provides students with a broad overview of all aspects of maintaining a healthy life, including a discussion of a person’s physical and emotional needs.
- Environmental Health: This online masters health education course teaches students the skills they need to educate the public on environment-related health issues and how to combat them in their daily lives.
- Design and Assessment: This online master in health education course provides students with hands-on practice in developing, initiating and evaluating health education programs and how to improve existing programs.
- Qualitative Analysis of Health Information: This online master’s in health education course teaches students the evaluation and analysis skills necessary to evaluative data collected about health care programs and practices.
- Biostatistics: This online master’s degree health education course provides students with the statistical skills needed to conduct research in the field and analysis that data collected.
Specializations and Concentrations
Because health education is a broad field, in order to become an expert in a specific niche, some online master’s health education students will pursue specialties or concentrations in areas including:
- Planning and Design of Programs
- Development of Curriculum
- Assessment of the Community
- School Health Education
- Community Health Education
Graduates with online masters degrees in health education will be able to work as health educators and managers in school systems, universities and corporate organizations. Some of the most popular career options for individuals in online master programs in health education are:
- Public Health Program Managers: Individuals with a health education masters degree online can work as public health program managers who oversee programs and activities designed to promote healthy living habits. According to 2008 estimates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, public health program managers made an average annual salary of $ 80,240. This field is expected to see approximately 16 percent growth in employment by 2018.
- Environmental Health Managers: Online masters degree health education graduates may work as environmental health managers who work with companies and organizations to help them develop and use more environmentally friendly techniques, as well as help them ensure compliance with all law and regulations. In 2008, the Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that environmental health managers earned as average annual salary of $ 59,750. The field is expected to see approximately 28 percent employment growth by 2018.
- Health Services Administrators: Graduates with a top online master’s degree in health education can work as health services administrators who manage all aspects of the delivery of health care in both specific departments within an institution or the entire institution. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimated health services administrators made an average annual salary of between $71,190 and $87,040 in 2008 depending on qualifications and industry of employment. This field is projected to see a 16 percent increase in employment growth by the year 2018.
- International Health Managers: Those individuals with online master’s degrees in health education can also work as international health managers who address issues of health care services and delivery on a much wider scale. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, international health managers with an online health education masters degree made an average annual salary of $ 80,240 in 2008. This field is expected to see 16 percent growth in employment opportunities by 2018.
- Education Administrator: Graduates with a health education master’s degree online often work as education administrators in a variety of educational settings. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates education administrators in charge of schools made an average annual salary of between $71,192 and $97,486 in 2008 depending on qualifications and the size and type of school. This field is expected to see an approximately 8 percent increase in employment by 2018.
Successfully completing an online health education master’s degree will prepare students for positions as health educators in a wide range of environments and increase potential earnings. An online master degree in health education provides professionals already employed within the health care or health education fields the opportunity to further their career goals while maintaining their current jobs.