Many successful candidates of the online master’s degree program in health care informatics have common traits like good oral and written communication skills, organized, logical, and are technology savvy.
These successful candidates must also have a bachelor’s degree in related fields which include:
- Health Care Administration
- Health Services Management
Some candidates may have prior experience health teachers.
Good online master’s degree programs in Health Care Informatics typically take between 2 to 3 years to complete. The types of Health Care Informatics degrees offered by the best Health Care Informatics master’s programs online include:
- Master of Science in Health Care Informatics (MS in Health Care Informatics)
- Master of Arts in Health Care Informatics (MA in Health Care Informatics)
Most of the online master’s degree programs in health care informatics focus on data management, organizational techniques, and the new technologies in health care.
Some common course found in the best online master’s degree programs in health care informatics include:
- Business of Health Care Informatics: This course explores management strategies, budgets, and evaluation of business practices.
- Health Care Data Management: This course reviews patient identification and authentication, as well as the reporting systems of data sharing.
- Security of Data Health Care: This course covers privacy and security through software computer programs.
- Health Care Systems: This course focuses on the challenges and issues of health care in terms of cost and coverage.
- Organizational Behavior: This course studies human behavior within organizations, especially health care facilities.
Specializations and Concentrations
Because health care informatics is a broad field, in order to become an expert in a specific niche, some online master’s health care informatics students will pursue specialties or concentrations in areas including:
- Health Information Systems
- Medical Records Technician
The need for professionals in health care is growing rapidly as health care technology expands. Health care informatics is also expanding and so are the job opportunities within the field. The following careers are common of graduates of the online master’s degree program in health care informatics:
- Health Information Technician: A health information technician keeps track of patient’s medical forms such as insurance, medical history, recent testing. They also ensure security and privacy. With health technology advancing, electronic health records common and used among health information technicians. The average salary of a health information technician is around $30,000. The job opportunities are predicted to grow much faster than average.
- Health Information Manager: A health information manager supervises the work of technicians and organizes the delivery of health care. They focus more on the security of health records. A health information manager makes an average yearly salary of $80,000. The employment is expected to grow faster than average.
- Medical Technologist: A medical technologist works in medical laboratories, organizing and reporting studies. A medical technologist can expect an average salary of $55,000 a year. The job opportunities in this career have much expected growth.
- Clinical Informatics Analyst: A clinical informatics analyst coordinator works within medical departments maintaining records and administration applications. The average annual salary of a clinical informatics analyst is around $70,000. The opportunities in the field have a predicted increase.
- Pharmacy Informatics Coordinator: A pharmacy informatics organizes and manages the patient’s information in a pharmacy setting. The average salary of a pharmacy informatics coordinator is near $50,000 a year. The employment opportunities in this career are expected to increase rapidly as well.
With the wide variety of career opportunities in health care informatics, one with an online master’s degree in health care informatics benefits with an enhanced chance of job employment and even an increase in annual salary.