Online Master’s Degrees in Electrical Engineering Requirements
The most successful students of the online master’s degree in electrical engineering are the students that are logical thinkers, problem solvers, highly-disciplined, and detail-oriented. The online courses of the electrical engineering master’s degree program focus on training students to develop and master this essential skill set.
Usually online masters electrical engineering candidates have a bachelor’s degree in related fields such as:
- Computer Engineering Technology
- Network Administration
- Network Management
- Data Communications
Many online electrical engineering students may have work experience as IT professionals.
Good online master’s degree programs in electrical engineering typically take between 2 to 3 years to complete. The types of electrical engineering degrees offered by the best electrical engineering master’s programs online include:
- Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MS in Electrical Engineering)
- Master of Arts in Electrical Engineering (MA in Electrical Engineering)
Programs of the online masters in electrical engineering emphasize networking and security, digital electronic systems, and communications.
Some common courses which are in the best electrical engineering online programs are:
- Power System Analysis: This courses teaches students the components and parts of a variety of power systems, as well as power flow.
- Synchronous Machine Modeling: This courses covers theories and models of power systems.
- Wireless Networks: This course focuses on wireless networking and operations.
- Control Systems: This equips students with the knowledge of various control systems and their stability criteria.
- Digital Control Systems Analysis and Design: This covers emphasizes the design and analysis of many sample control systems. This helps students learn problem solving techniques through error, and learn which systems function best
Specializations and Concentrations
Because electrical engineering is a broad field, in order to become an expert in a specific niche, some online master’s electrical engineering students will pursue specialties or concentrations in areas including:
- Control Engineering
- Power Systems
- Communication and Signal Processing
Graduates of the electrical engineering master’s degree program are offered a wide variety of job opportunities and options. A few popular career choices of electrical engineering master’s degree graduates include:
- Design Engineer: A design engineer creates detailed drawings of designs of systems, computers, and electronics. The average salary of a design engineer is about $86,000 and the job opportunities are growing fast.
- Control Systems Engineer: The control systems engineer’s responsibility is to develop and deliver technology as well as coordinate staff on the systems designs. A control systems engineer has an average salary of about $90,000 a year and the job employment is expected to keep growing.
- Power Electronics Engineer: The power electronics engineer develops and tests electronics such as computer software and hardware, and computer equipment. The average salary of a power electronics computer engineer is about $61,000 and the job employment opportunities are expected to rise.
- Test Engineer: The test engineer tests the developed electrical systems for accuracy and efficiency. The average salary of a test engineer is $88,000 and the employment is expected to grow faster than average.
- Process Control Engineer: Process control engineers work with systems, analyzing them to make sure they are effective and productive. A process control engineer has an average salary of about $90,000 and the job opportunities are rising.
A master’s degree in electrical engineering from accredited online schools will help one become a leader and stay competitive for high paying employment opportunities in the rigorous, yet rewarding field of engineering.