Online Master’s Degrees in Educational Leadership Requirements
An advanced career in educational leadership attracts those who are assertive, confident, enthusiastic, ambitious, and calm under pressure. The online courses will help master these key personality traits.
One must have a bachelor’s degree to get into the online master’s degree program in educational leadership in related fields such as:
- Science in Education
- Education Administration
- Instructional Technology
Usually successful candidates have experience with either early childhood, elementary, high school, or higher education.
Good online master’s degree programs in educational leadership typically take between 2 to 3 years to complete. The types of educational leadership degrees offered by the best educational leadership master’s programs online include:
- Master of Science in Educational Leadership (MS in Educational Leadership)
- Master of Arts in Educational Leadership (MA in Educational Leadership)
Many of the best online master’s degree programs in educational leadership focus on leadership skills in the school environment that include topics such as communication, administration, and assessments of educational instruction and the school budgeting.
Some common course found in the top online master’s degree in educational leadership programs include:
- Effective Leadership: This course gives one knowledge of leadership theories through research, analysis, and practical experience.
- Instructional Leadership: This course reviews student achievement and it’s relation to the instructor’s curriculum. It also emphasizes how to assess the curriculum and change it for the students.
- Assessing Educational Programs: This course focuses on how educational programs are delivered and how to revise and create new programs to benefit the students and staff.
- School Law: In this course, students learn laws and regulations that impact education. Some common topics include student rights and special needs students.
- School Administration: This course covers how to motivate and support staff in order to properly manage the school community.
Specializations and Concentrations
Because educational leadership is a broad field, in order to become an expert in a specific niche, some online master’s educational leadership students will pursue specialties or concentrations in areas including:
- College Administration and Leadership
- Educational Management
An online master’s degree in educational leadership is valuable, offering students many job options to choose from. The following jobs are available with a master’s degree in educational leadership:
- Principal: A principal manages students, parents, develops curriculum standards, evaluates performance goals, and makes administrative decisions with the students, parents, and staff in mind. The job growth as a principal is expected to be about as much as average. On average, a principal makes around $90,000 a year.
- Superintendent: A superintendent prepares meetings, budgets, is in charge of school needs and decision making, prepares strategic plans to improve school, and studies and resolves school issues. The career growth as a superintendent is predicted to be average. On average, a superintendent makes near $120,000 a year.
- Educational Consultant: An education consultant assists students and families with educational decision making and they can work with school to come up with strategies to improve school functioning. The job as an educational consultant is expected to grow as much as average. The average annual salary of an educational consultant is $86,000.
- Education Chairperson: An education chairperson evaluates faculty members, performs on faculty committees, and oversees and resolves conflicts of administration and students. The job growth as a education chairperson is predicted to be average. The average salary of an education chairperson is about $70,000 a year.
- Director of Administration: A director of administration supervises and manages the administrators, ensuring the curriculum and teaching techniques are up to standards and always improving. The growth in the career as a director of administration is average. On average, a director of administration makes $60,000 a year.
An online master’s degree in educational leadership offers students a rewarding career in the education field. An online master’s degree in educational leadership can offer career advancement, higher salaries, also allows for continuing PhD.