Online Masters in Educational Assessment and Evaluation Requirements
The online educational assessment and evaluation masters degree will require the student to have analytical, teaching and communication skills, all of which will be tested by most colleges offering the degree. It also calls for the student to have a genuine interest in the core subject of educational assessment.
Most online educational assessment and evaluation candidates have a bachelor’s degree in related fields such as:
A good academic track record is mandatory for admission into the best online schools across the country.
The educational assessment and evaluation masters program online will entail course duration of a minimum of two years. The students pursuing a top online master degree will focus mainly on critical and analytical thinking, problem-solving and communication. They will also have to hone auxiliary skills like designing, developing and implementing plans. The best online masters programs will require the student to devise new assessment methods and present the same to the educational panel.
This online master’s degree focuses mainly on critical thinking, communication and design and development of assessment methods, and hence the courses are set up in ways that promote those skills.
The most common course papers found in this online master’s program are:
- Educational Assessment and Evaluation Systems: This course introduces the student to the most common evaluation programs and assessment systems used in academic institutions.
- Using Evaluation Results: This course in the online master’s degree provides an insight into what to do with the evaluation results, and include report generation and graphical analyses.
- Analysis, Assessment and Technology: This course makes the student understand the different processes in the educational assessment and evaluation systems and how technology can be applied to these systems to make them more user-friendly and understandable.
- Curriculum Methods for Special Needs Children: This course helps the graduate understand the special needs and requirements of some children and formulate specific curriculum and analysis methods for them.
- Principles of Instructional Design: Instructional design is one of the most important courses in the online master’s degree, which lays down the basic guidelines that are to be followed when the student designs a course syllabus.
Specializations and Concentrations
Educational assessment and evaluation is a large field and can be considered to be the basis of academic institutions in the country. There are several specializations that are offered in this field. Below are a few fields that the student pursuing an online master’s degree program in educational assessment and evaluation can specialize in:
- Curriculum Assessment and Teacher Licensure
- Measurement and Evaluation
- Educational Assessment and Research
- Testing and Measurement
- Training and Performance Improvement
- Elementary and Secondary School Administrator: A student with an online master’s degree in educational assessment and evaluation can take up the position of a school administrator and has the responsibilities of running the school, preparing the curriculum for classes, and evaluating students of all departments. An average elementary school administrator may up to $68,000, while secondary school administrators are in the pay scale of $75,000.
- Early Childhood and Elementary Teachers: Elementary teachers are responsible for shaping up a child’s life, and it requires a lot of patience and skill to deal with them. The responsibilities include one-on-one teaching, setting up the curriculum, and assessment of the children. The pay scale for this job is in the range of $48,000 to $51,000.
- K-12 and Secondary Teachers: Secondary teachers teach the higher classes, and entail the same responsibilities as a primary education teacher. The pay scale of secondary teachers is around $50,000 to $53,000.
- Education Managers and Program Developers: Education managers are in charge of the accreditation board and they prepare the syllabus, while program developers check the syllabus and prepare the material required for the coursework. These jobs pay around $63,000.
- Education Consultants: The education consultants are usually subject matter experts with an online master’s degree in educational assessment and evaluation. They receive a salary of $85,000.
Oftentimes, positions will not require students to have graduated from online master degree programs in educational assessment and evaluation, however, having a master’s degree can help secure employment and increase one’s salary in this competitive job market.