Online Bachelors Degrees in Information Technology Requirements
A strong ability to work both with real people and the systems they use to perform their tasks is essential for those wishing to pursue an online bachelor of information technology degree. Being able to prioritize time, manage others, and work with complex computing systems will ensure success in top online bachelor’s of information technology degree programs.
Before enrolling in any course of study, online school students interested to pursue an accredited online bachelor of information technology degree should answer the following questions:
- Do I work well with others?
- Am I good at picking up new technological trends?
- Do I think quantitatively?
- Can I break apart a problem to solve it more quickly?
- Do I enjoy managing and optimizing process flow?
An online associate’s degree in information technology is another option for those interested in the field, and is usually an intensive two-year program that allows students to spend time working before they go on to pursue an online bachelor in information technology.
Top online information technology bachelor’s degree programs typically take between 4 to 5 years to complete. The types of degrees available through the best online bachelor in information technology programs include:
- Bachelor of Arts in Information Technology (BA in Information Technology)
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology (BS in Information Technology)
Computing systems are used to facilitate information transfer in nearly every professional environment today. Courses in the best online bachelor of information technology degree programs will touch on a very wide range of topics, including management, computer architecture, technical writing, and database administration.
Some courses found in the best online bachelor of information technology degree programs include:
- Desktop Publishing: Students learn how to effectively use programs like Adobe Acrobat, Flash, and Photoshop for preparing documents, presentations, and promotional materials.
- Operating Systems: This course exposes students to the basic principles that underlie the design and implementation of the various operating systems commonly in use today.
- Database Principles: Students acquire a practical understanding of databases, from both implementation and maintenance perspectives.
- Advanced Mathematics: Students will develop the mathematical proficiency relevant to the computing industry, for use in modeling and solving complex technological problems.
- Computer Programming: Students will acquire a basic understanding of several different programming languages to provide a more knowledgeable perspective on systems that execute code to function.
Specializations and Concentrations
The specialties and concentrations often available through good online bachelor of information technology programs include:
- Network Management
- IT Education
- IT Systems Design
- Operations Research
Online bachelor information technology graduates have many different types of career options to choose from. A few of the most popular choices include:
- Information Systems Manager: These managers coordinate and direct many of the computing decisions made by large companies, often including dealing with private vendors and contractors. Information systems managers earn $60,000 or more annually. According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics the market for managers is projected to grow 17 percent from 2008-2018.
- Database Administrator: Database administrators are hired to set up and maintain data storage systems for large and small organizations. Administrators make approximately $50,000 per year, with 23 percent project growth expected for the next eight years.
- IT Consultant: Experienced IT professionals often take on work as consultants, lending their expertise on a freelance basis. Consultants make $50,000 per year or more, with 83 percent growth expected into 2018.
- Entrepreneur: Information technology training will serve well in any entrepreneurial venture in today’s technology-driven business world. Entrepreneurs’ income and job growth prospects are by nature uncertain.
- Health Information Technician: Health information technicians oversee the maintenance and support of computer systems used to keep medical records and other relevant information digitally organized. These professionals make around $35,000 per year, with 20 percent growth expected until 2018.
Completing an accredited online bachelor’s degree program in information technology will prepare graduates for an incredible variety of entry-level positions, and qualify them for continuing training to develop a specialized IT career.