Prospective students in online associate degree in mechanical engineering technology programs need to be adept at both science and math. Students also need to practice good study and organizational skills, focus, and an eagerness to learn.
Accredited online associates degree programs in mechanical engineering technology typically take 2 years of full-time study to complete. Students can earn the following types of online associate degrees in mechanical engineering technology:
- Associate of Arts in Mechanical Engineering Technology (AA Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology)
- Associate of Science in Mechanical Engineering Technology (AS Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology)
Many online associates mechanical engineering technology students transfer into an online bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering technology program upon the completion of their degree.
Many of the best online associates degree in mechanical engineering technology programs may request general core classes, as well as focus on a strong foundation in both math and science such as:
- Geometry: Geometry, or Algebraic Geometry, will be a very important class for students in mechanical engineering. Here students learn the basics of designing and testing products through the foundation of math formulas.
- Chemistry: Formulating specific consumer products will require students to have a very strong background in chemistry. Chemistry courses will help students learn specific chemical formulas, in addition to allowing them to create a few in a lab environment.
- Mechanics: A mechanics course will help students learn the proper techniques for putting together different kinds of products and/or testing them.
Many students choose to continue their studies at a four-year institution, but an online associates degree in mechanical engineering technology also offers other alternatives in careers:
- Mechanical Engineering Technicians: Mechanical engineering technicians develop and test consumer products (such as automotive) and industrial machinery for a factory setting. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, mechanical engineers earned a mean salary of $46,100 in 2008. Job openings in this market are expected to remain static over the next 8 years.
- Electro-mechanic Engineers: Electro-mechanic engineers create products, such as robots or computer and robot controlled industrial machines. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported the average 2008 salary at $46,310 per year. Electro-mechanic jobs are expected to decline moderately in the next 8 years.
- Aerospace Engineers: Aerospace engineers develop and maintain technology related to the exploration of space. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary was $55,040 in 2008. A job increase of 2% is expected over the next 8 years.
An associates degree in mechanical engineering technology from a top school online can help jumpstart your career and be a part of the change and growth of a technological world.