Students seeking to earn a health care administration associate’s degree online will need to utilize critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Top and accredited online schools will require students to become familiar with information technology tools and standards, and prepare them to meet current industry challenges in the areas of human resources, data security and professional ethics.
Accredited online associate’s degree programs in health care administration typically take 2 years of full-time study to complete. Students can earn the following types of online associate degrees in health care administration:
- Associate of Arts in Health Care Administration (AA Degree in Health Care Administration)
- Associate of Arts in Health Care Administration (AS Degree in Health Care Administration)
Many online associate’s health care administration students transfer into an online bachelor’s degree in health care administration program upon the completion of their degree.
Typical coursework for students pursuing an online associate’s degree in health care administration may include an overview of current industries in accounting, marketing, finance, law, and human resources management. Many of the best online schools offering online associates degrees in health care administration require courses such as medical information systems, accounting and finance, medical terminology, and probability and statistics in health care and insurance. Other courses needed to earn an online associate’s degree in health care administration include:
- Health Care Legal and Ethical Issues: This course focuses on law and ethical issues arising in the provision of health-care services, with special emphasis on issues of quality assurance, access and cost containment.
- Organizational Behavior: Students in this course will be provided with a comprehensive exposure to research and practices in the field of organizational behavior. Students will critically evaluate organizational concepts and ideas and learn to apply this knowledge to management practice through the diagnostic approach.
- Introduction to Health Care Management: This course presents management concepts and theories designed to influence and improve the performance of health care organizations.
Specializations and Concentrations
Online associate of health care administration students may specialize in one of the following areas:
- Billing and Coding
- Medical Records
- Pharmacy Practice
Online health care administration associate’s degree graduates are in demand for positions such as health and social service manager, patient accounts supervisor, home health care manager, health and safety manager, health information manager, health services manager and mental health center director. Students who have earned a health care administration associate’s degree online will be able to offer their valuable services in private doctor’s offices, public hospitals, nursing homes, specialized clinics, out-patient treatment centers and other similar facilities.
Some prospective careers available to individuals who hold an online health care administration associates degree include:
- Medical Assistant: Medical assistants perform a variety of tasks, including both administrative and clinical duties such as updating patients’ medical records, filling out insurance forms, taking medical histories, and recording vital signs. The average annual salary for medical assistants is $28,300. Employment is projected to grow at much faster than average rates, ranking medical assistants among the fastest growing occupations over the 2008 to 2018 time frame.
- Medical Records Clerk: These professionals record observations, interventions, and treatment outcomes for patients. The average annual salary for medical assistants is $26,250. Employment for medical records clerks is projected to grow at faster than average rates.
- Health Information Technician: Health Information Technicians collect, organize and analyze data used in the health care profession. The average salary for entry-level health information technicians is $25,000. Rapid growth is predicted for this profession with expanding opportunities throughout the country.
Earning an online associate’s degree in health care administration can lead to challenging and rewarding careers that are critical to the safety and advancement of patients’ privacy, rights, and protection. Individuals with online associate’s degrees in health care administration can broaden their expertise, services, and influences by participating in informative national associations.