Online Associates Degrees in General Studies Requirements
Most four-year institutions ask students to complete core classes prior to admission. An online associates degree in general studies will help fulfill these requirements.
An online associates degree in general studies typically take 2 years of full-time study to complete. Students can earn the following types of online associate degrees in general studies:
- Associate of Arts in General Studies (AA Degree in General Studies)
- Associate of Science in General Studies (AS Degree in General Studies)
Many online associates general studies students transfer into an online bachelor’s degree in general studies program upon the completion of their degree.
Good online associates degree in general studies programs require general core courses, but also offer a wide variety of elective courses from literature to a foreign language. General courses include:
- History: While history classes may include other countries, most of the focus will pertain to American History.
- Math: Students may be expected to complete a specific level of math, which is typically statistics. In statistics, you will learn to analyze percentages and other number data.
- English: In an English course, you’ll refine your writing skills and strengthen reading comprehension, qualities that are often important for many careers.
Students from the best online associates degree in general studies programs will have a strong foundation to continue on to a four-year institution, which will then lead to the availability of a wide assortment of careers, including:
- High School Teacher: A high school teacher equips students with the knowledge that will be most beneficial for work after graduation, or to continue on to post-secondary education. The mean pay for a high school teacher in 2008 was $55,000 per year, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Job growth is steady, due to high turnover and a lack of teachers in urban and rural areas.
- Counselor: With a good background in general studies and further studies into psychology, a counselor is a viable option for those with a strong desire to help others in government, schools, or private practices. In 2008, counselors averaged an income of $51,000 per year. Although it varies by specialty, the Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts a growth of 18% in this field from 2008 to 2018.
- Nurse: A background in general studies can fulfill general requirements to qualify for a nursing program. A nurse may work in a hospital, clinical, or school setting, attending to the sick and helping doctors. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nurses averaged an income of $62,450 per year. Job outlook for registered nurses is excellent due to high turnover of registered nurses.
An associates degree in general studies from a school online will help you build a solid foundation of coursework for future aspirations in furthering your education.