Online Associates Degrees in Electrical Engineering Technology Requirements
Students pursuing an online associate degrees in electrical engineering technology from one of the top online schools should have strong math and science skills. In addition, curiosity about how things work and excellent critical thinking skills are required. Coursework is rigorous, which requires students of online electrical engineering technology degrees to have a good work ethic and strong motivation.
Accredited online associate’s degree programs in electrical engineering technology typically take 2 years of full-time study to complete. Students can earn the following types of online associate degrees in electrical engineering technology:
- Associate of Arts in Electrical Engineering Technology (AA Degree in Electrical Engineering Technology)
- Associate of Science in Electrical Engineering Technology (AS Degree in Electrical Engineering Technology)
Many online associates in electrical engineering technology degree students transfer into an online bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering technology program upon the completion of their degree.
The curriculum for an online associate’s degree in electrical engineering technology is a broad-based, technically-oriented education that emphasizes solving problems, designing products and improving equipment. Frequent courses within this degree include:
- Computer Aided Drafting: This course introduces basic two-dimensional drafting principles, hands-on application with Computer-Aided Drafting/Design (CADD) and covers CADD software structure and features.
- Applied Chemistry: The relationship between chemical properties and the mechanical and electrical properties of materials is examined in this course. Basic chemistry is required as a prerequisite.
- Circuits: This course investigates the theory and circuit applications of periodic signals, and a laboratory session reinforces concepts.
An online associate’s degree in electrical engineering technology provides the skill and theory to obtain a position in this fast-growing field. Electrical engineering technicians use science, engineering, and mathematics to assist engineers and solve technical problems in research and development. Job duties may include testing product, collecting data, CAD design or production.
Professional opportunities for electrical engineering technicians include:
- Electrical Engineering Technician, Manufacturing: A manufacturing electrical engineering technician uses computer technology to create and develop electronic equipment, such as wireless programs and communications devices. Electrical engineering technicians in manufacturing earn an average wage of $53,240 per year. Job outlook is excellent, as the computer and wireless fields quickly change and require a breadth of knowledge that can be obtained through an online electrical engineering technology associate degree program.
- Electrical Engineering Technician, Product Testing: An electrical engineering technician with a focus on product testing designs tools to track and evaluate product. An electrical engineering technician earns an average wage of $53,240 per year. Job outlook is growing at a faster than average rate.
- Electrical Engineering Technician, Installer: Electrical engineering technicians with a focus on installation and repair work in a variety of fields to update and maintain important equipment, including computer networks and transportation equipment. An electrical engineering technician with an installation and repair specialty earns an average of $45,830 per year. Career opportunities are best for those with an online electrical engineering technology associate’s degree.
While a somewhat narrow field, an online associate’s degree in electrical engineering technology opens the door to a wide variety of careers with strong potential for expansion. In addition, an online electrical engineering technology associate degree provides a strong foundation for future academic pursuits.