Online Associate Degrees in Business Requirements
Students pursuing an online associate’s degree in business should have excellent writing and critical thinking skills. Business positions requires professional personal interaction, and students should be prepared to work with colleagues at all professional levels. In addition, the field of business changes quickly, so graduates with an online associate business degree should be flexible and adaptable.
Accredited online associate’s degree programs in business typically take 2 years of full-time study to complete. Students can earn the following types of online associate degrees in business:
- Associate of Arts in Business
- Associate of Science in Business
- Associate of Applied Science in Business
Many online associate’s business degree students transfer into an online bachelor’s degree in business program upon the completion of their degree.
An associate’s degree in business from a top online college provides students a wealth of hands-on, practical knowledge as well as business and finance theory. The field of business is wide, encompassing banking and finance to marketing and sales; thus, the choice of courses and specializations is highly varied. Some common courses for students earning an online associate’s degree in business are:
- Management 101This course provides students with solid, real-world leadership skills to motivate and maintain high standards for employees. Students will practice these skills by developing a vision for a company, learning to communicate clearly and expanding business writing skills.
- Introduction to MarketingDuring this course, students will develop familiarity with marketing terminology, concepts and applications. Using these skills and theory, students will create a basic marketing plan for a given product.
- EconomicsStudents will be introduced to the methodology and analytical tools used by economists. Economic theory, policy and history will be examined with further study in micro and macroeconomics.
Specializations and Concentrations
Online associate of business students may specialize in one of the following areas:
- General Accounting
- Accounting Computer Information Systems
- Accounting Management
- Computer Information Systems
- Human Resource Management
- General Management
An associate’s degree in business from the best online colleges provides students with a wide range of career opportunities. Entry level positions in business are in high demand and offer a range of promotion opportunities.
Some common career options for graduates with an online associate’s degree in business include:
- Marketing SpecialistThe job of a marketing specialist is to design, create and deliver marketing programs to support the strategic goals of a company. A marketing specialist earns between $27,830 and $45,130 per year. Job growth is expected at a faster than average rate.
- Office ManagerAn office manager is responsible for the smooth operation of the day-to-day business of the company. Office managers earn an average of $38,550 per year. Potential for job growth is excellent as office managers must hold high skill levels in the current economy, including advanced computer skills.
- Finance Clerk/BookkeeperA finance clerk or bookkeeper handles financial transactions, account tracking and auditing for a company. A finance clerk earns between $38,070 and $56,470 per year. Job growth is expected to remain at an average rate; holding an associate’s degree is highly desirable for this position.
An online associate’s degree in business offers the opportunity to gain a wide variety of skills used in the field of business through accredited online schools. Graduates with an online business associate’s degree can find employment in many different areas and professional growth expectations are excellent.